Here's a simple recipe for an M&M cookie mix in a jar! We used the red and green m&m's for the holidays and the mix was very easy to put together. My only wish was that we had saved the m&ms for the very last layer because they almost got lost in the layers of flour and sugar.
"Colored Coal Cookies"
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 1 1/4 cups candy-coated milk chocolate pieces
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Mix together flour, baking soda and baking powder.
- Layer ingredients in jar in order given in a 1 quart ''wide mouth'' canning jar. Add the flour mixture last. It will be a tight fit when you add the flour mixture so be sure to pack everything down firmly.
- Instructions to attach to jar:
Empty jar of cookie mix into large mixing bowl. Use your hands to thoroughly blend mix.
Add 1/2 cup margarine or butter softened at room temperature. Mix in 1 egg, slightly beaten, and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
Mix until completely blended. You will need to finish mixing with your hands.
Shape into balls the size of walnuts and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet 2 inches apart.
Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 12 to 14 minutes until edges are slightly browned. Cool on cookie sheet for about 5 minutes then remove to wire racks to finish cooling. Makes 2 1/2 dozen cookies.